Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Google+ Business Pages

According to Technorati, the Google+ Business Pages are coming soon. And it's about damn time! I guess it's impatient of me to say so, since Google+ only recently went into open beta, but I feel like I've been waiting forever for the one feature that will finally allow me to ween myself off of Facebook.

While I of course will have to continue using Facebook at least a little bit for business purposes, I continue to grow more and more uncomfortable with the direction Facebook is going. I understand why they're going the way they're going; what was once no more than a social network has now been around long enough to be a major business with a big-time paying clientele. Facebook isn't there to be a social network anymore, but to perform market research for that paying clientele. While privacy may be a myth on the internet, I for one at least want to be able to harbor my delusions of privacy controls.

While I expect Google+ to add more features and functionality over time, I currently enjoy the simplicity of the interface and the user-friendly privacy controls. The very last thing stopping me from making the leap is that I follow a wide range of business fan pages on Facebook. As Google+ makes the business pages available, and as business start trickling in (mine included), I look forward to much less time on the old social network and much more time on the new one.

As the Google+ population grows and diversifies, I think I'll mourn the loss of the techie/nerd community from the field testing days, but I guess that's a price that has to be paid for Google+ to truly be competitive. Honestly, I would love to see the day when Google+ is to Facebook as Facebook was to MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment